Monday, June 09, 2008

Unharmonious eHarmony

Ok, so I don't know if I am bored or I have lost my mind but I signed up on eHarmony and went through their well-known comprehensive questionnaire. I have been pretty open about how I didn't want to do online dating, but really I am at the point where I don't know what else to do and God helps those who help themselves, right?. It's not like I meet any guys in my line of work, and there really is not a huge single population around here other than horny college students. So, I have gotten "matched" and on several of them, before any communication has even taken place, I have been "closed". Which, ok obviously I don't expect every guy on there to see my introductory info and be convinced I am the coolest woman on Earth, but it stings just a little. Especially when their reason is "other". What does that mean? And I will say, that it is not even being rejected that is the hardest for me. It is harder to do the rejecting. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but these people are total strangers. It is all rather strange. I don't know how long they have been on, how many other people they have been matched with, how many they are talking to, if they are a secret serial killer....how do I make a snap judgement on a few introductory statements? The answers all seem really similar. Is it fair to make a judgement call on a few pictures? And really, I don't even want to initiate any kind of contact. We're in the 21st century, right? What difference does it make who initiates it? But seriously, I am definitely scared to "want" to be with anyone because I have been burned, but I do want to be "wanted". And yes, I see the discordance. Do I talk to all of them? Do I only talk to the ones who initiate? Can you sense that I am overwhelmed? I want it to be fun, I want to get back out there and have some fun! I am not an Old Maid just yet. I am not holding my breath that my guy going to show up as a match on eHarmony, but I want to be open to the possibility. I am giving it a month and we'll see what happens I guess. "Out there" may just be a little too out there.

3 comments:

eHarmony Blog said...

Did you just join eHarmony for a month?
See http://www.pinoy.ca/eharmony/653

Based on what I've been through in eHarmony, I regret to say that your disaccord wouldn't help in meeting people there. Most of my readers tell me they joined eHarmony to seek those who are relationship-material and are ready for a relationship. You should be sure whether that is your goal or could be your goal. (Tis always best to state in your profile in definite terms what you seek.)

Elisa said...

Ok - That's a weird comment below. I've always wondered what eHarmony is like. I could see it being good since I guess you take a pretty comprehensive inventory, but I can totally understand your uncertainty given the points you bring up. It can't hurt to try, though. Right? I hope that it ends up being more fun than expected.

Elisa said...

Looks like it was a weird comment above.