Thursday, October 19, 2006
I Really Want to Know
Ok, so I have a question to put out there. Anyone is welcome to share their answer. I want to know if those romantic movie moments really do happen. Art is supposed to imitate life right? There are so many chick-flicks that I love and I love them because of those moments. Women dream about those moments - I know you are out there. And guys hate that we love them b/c they see them as unreal. I guess those super-human action movies are more realistic. But I digress....You know, when the guy says that thing and your heart turns all buttery or that look that you share when you can practically see each other's souls or that kiss. We all know THAT kiss. I just wonder if they happen in real life. Or are we really dreaming for nothing? Is there a point to dreaming? I watched the new Pride and Prejudice today (well I was studying but it was on) and it is one of my all-time favorite stories and I have to say that my favorite part is when Lizzie spots him walking up in the morning dew and his frock is all fluttering and that little bit of manliness is showing through the top of his shirt and his hair is all mussed and his eyes are all blue and they have that moment where he knows she loves him and she realizes that it is a forever love. Ok, so creative license aside, does that happen in real life? I really want to know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think it happens but not in those extremes. Jamie had this thing about someone saying "why are you so soft?" She was there when it was asked to me (incidently by my future husband). I think I've had a couple of "movie moments", but without all the fanfare music and an audience, it loses some of the magic maybe.
There is something about that movie that is so sensual. The music and the dresses and the longing.
The thing about Jane Austen novels is that they always stop at the most romantic moment and they all assume that marriage is inevitable when you have one of those moments. Now, I love Jane Austen and could probably quote to you most of the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility, so obviously they appeal to me, too. But my real life has not mirrored that model. I think it's more complicated and involves more heart ache and uncertainty. (If you want more details I could certainly supply through email.)
But marriage is a good thing, and I believe that there is a good man out there for you and that you will be willing to put up with the reality of who he is even when that is less than movie-worthy. And I think that he will be delighted to put up with the reality of you, too, because you're worth it, baby! I hope that doesn't annoy you to hear me say, but I think it's true.
I agree with Rach - the movies are too extreme. In my very limited experience, the moments are smaller and very sweet. But still there. Ah, "Why are you so soft?" Gotta love the TV show Once & Again.
Oh Jaime, I too am a sucker for that scene in Pride and Prejudice! Whoo I'm getting all fluttery just thinking about it! :) J/K
I must add though that while real life love is fantastic it rarely is like the movies. Like Rachel said, we have no theme music following us around-and for me music is such an emotionally charged thing (that's why I love country music- all the love stories set to music!) My guess is that if you watched the same scene without the swelling melodies in the background your heart may not skip as many beats either.
The other thing about movies is that the credits always seem to start rolling right after the couple hooks up and professes their love, it's like the "falling in love" is the end part. And in real life I do beleive the "falling in love" stage does come with all the butterflies and is there is a time when you just can't get enough of eachother and you can efforlessly talk for hours and just holding hands makes your heart jump...but then there's the regular everyday love that all to soon takes over...you know when bills are due, work is stressful, the house is a wreck, you can't just stop and hold hands because dinner is burning and oh you've got PMS too!
It's a beautiful thing too just in a differnet way! :)
Post a Comment