Wednesday, October 18, 2006

CRF

I have not only self-diagnosed but I have discovered a new disease - not so much disease but a condition. I have CRF. I am a Chronic Rule Follower. I had a Fried Green Tomatoes moment today. I had spotted a parking space and was on my way to whip in when I was rudely cut off by someone. I could just see her thinking "face it lady, I am younger and faster" as she totally did not look at me and engrossed in what could only be a life-changing conversation as she exited her SUV, as if my existence were too miniscule to be acknowledged. Small detour: Not too long ago I was meeting a friend for lunch and I was waiting for a parking spot to be vacated when a man came in from the other side and stole my spot from right under my nose. He and his wife were old so I let it go. I held the door for them anyway (with no thank you) and to my shock and amazement, my friend and I were in line at the lunch counter and the same man totally cut in front of us. I was totally dumbfounded. Those are the moments that I wish I had the gall to say "Excuse me!" and stand up for myself without getting rude but not letting people walk all over you. And yet I say nothing. Back to today: I was waiting at a stop light later and I was thinking about how I hate driving in my town b/c people are rude and stupid. No worse combination. I swear you could see the light bulb go off above my car. I have always said that I loved driving in Germany b/c people are good drivers and they follow the laws. I liked it b/c people follow the laws. I follow the laws (minus the occasional speed limit now and then). I am a Chronic Rule Follower. I hated the people in Basic Training who purposefully and with intent broke the rules and never got in trouble. I always tried to do the right thing and yet I was constantly being yelled at. I don't know how to not follow the rules. I thought that was the whole point of the military. Anyway - I have tried more than once in my lifetime to let loose and be fancy free - whatver that means - and I just don't know how to truly let go. And usually it ends up a disaster. And yet, when I follow the rules, I end up being frustrated b/c of all the people who don't b/c they create so much more struggle for the rest of us. Case and point: I had a pair of tweezers confiscated on a flight b/c they looked like they could be used as a weapon. I would never use a pair of tweezers as a weapon but b/c someone did mine got taken away. Terrorists made a bomb out of liquid and now people can't carry a bottle of water on airplanes. Pehaps an extreme example, but hopefully you get the point. I know there are so many more examples of the rule breakers making life difficult for the followers. Maybe following the rules is my way of doing the right thing. And maybe it's not such a bad thing. Maybe I am more frustrated that people are rude. So, for my sake, if someone holds the door for you, say thank you. And don't cut in front of people. And for my sanity, don't steal people's parking spaces. Now, I feel like I made the world a better place today. Or something.

No comments: