Monday, October 23, 2006

Deja Vu

Ryann wakes me up on mornings that I don't have clinicals so I can take her to school. And the weather here has gotten much colder recently and there is quite a chill in the mornings. Just like another country I lived in for 2 1/2 years. And this morning when I came back home there was still the smell of my diesel exhaust when I got out of my car. And that smell in the cold morning chill gave me deja vu of every Wednesday morning in Germany. On Wednesdays instead of going to the office in the morning, we would all meet at the Motor Pool to do "PM" (preventive maintenance) on our vehicles. The vehicles were Humvees, 2 1/2 ton trucks, generators, forklifts, etc. All of which I was licensed to drive/operate. Crazy, huh? It was my least favorite part of the week b/c I had no clue what I was doing as far as maintenance is concerned and yet my name was on a window of a Humvee, making me responsible for it running. Plus we were usually freezing our butts off. Which is why the name on the other window of my vehicle made sure the I made sure HIS heat was working. Sometimes it was fun b/c we kind of joked around, but most of the time I dreaded it and was so glad to walk back across the railroad tracks out of that gate. It always amazed me how the mechanics were there day in and day out working on vehicle after vehicle. I guess they probably thought the same about me and doing paperwork, but they worked their butts off. It's funny to me how so many of my memories are related to smell. I can go years without using a particular kind of conditioner, and then I will use it again and it will remind me of the last time I did. Or certain perfumes. There is one perfume that I always relate to my grandma. I love it and she got some for me and every time I put it on I think of her. And also Italy, b/c she brought it with her and we both wore it on the trip. There are smells of people's houses, foods, colognes, places that always give me deja vu. For me, smell is such a strong sense and I link it to so many memories without even realizing it.

What gives you deja vu?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Smell definitely, and also music. Anytime I hear "Unbelievable" on the radio, I think of Welcome Week.

Rachel said...

When I hear a sing song song that we changed. Or an old 80s hit that I made up dances to. Joe had deja vu Saturday. Jerry and I had a conversation at the fair that Joe said he had dreamed 2 nights before. Maybe my husband can see the future!

Christina said...

Smells and music for me too. After church on Sundays it's always fun for me to smell Titus and identify all the perfume smells from all the women who passed him around.

Elisa said...

I can't imagine you doing preventive maintenance on 1/2 ton trucks and Humvees. What an experience! You already have more stories to tell than some people have after living and working out in the "real" world for ten years.

Smells and music work for me, too. Sometimes I think of movies as representing a certain time in my life, but I'm not sure that that is the same thing as deja vu.

Jaime said...

:) I was all sad because the comments didn't show on my page for me (crazy Mozilla) and so I was about to write why no one was answering my question!! But you did!! Yay! Thanks!

I had forgotten about how songs we did in Sing Song bring it all back. Sometimes I will hear one that I only knew as a Sing Song song and it is weird to hear the real thing. But oh so fun!