Wednesday, October 25, 2006

One Step Closer

For those of you who don't know, I went into nursing so that I could be a NICU nurse. I know that pretty much everyone loves babies, but for me it is more than love. The whole process of birth and neonates are completely fascinating to me. I would almost say I am obsessed, but not unhealthy stalker kind of obsessed. You know, like a 'I want to be around them way more than most people' kind of way. [And since I didn't hold ANYONE's baby at Homecoming I am sure you are all thinking "What?" ;) ] But I just love babies!!!! I LOVE 'em! So anyway, we start our OB/Family rotation in November and we are supposed to have 8 hours of clinical in the field. So today, I went for it. I walked straight into the NICU at the hospital and I asked to speak to the Nurse Manager. I talked to her and I am so excited b/c I am doing my hours on Friday! AND, I can even work as a secretary - I do it for another unit of the hospital and she said I could do it there too!! AND, in January-ish I can work as a Nurse Tech (which is like a senior student helper to nurses). All of which will hopefully help me get a job in August when I graduate (assuming I graduate). So yay!! I am so excited!! It is a small milestone, but a milestone all the same!

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Wonderful! I am sooo happy that you've found a profession that suits you well. And I'm all about celebrating the mini-milestones along the way. Keep us updated.

Unknown said...

You will be so wonderful at this job, Jaime. Way to step up there and take initiative, too! Seems to be paying off for you!

Rachel said...

Yay for you! Let us know what happens on Friday! It's so exciting to find what you love and the avenue to make it happen. Hope it's all you dreamed it would be.