Saturday, August 12, 2006
Unexpecteds
So, it is almost 3 in the morning, I have to get up in the morning for a 12 hour work day but I just had to put some thoughts out about my night. A dear friend of mine, whom I haven't seen in more than 5 years is in town for a bit before she pops over the Atlantic for some time in the Holy Land. And we ended up seeing each other at a dinner with other people I haven't seen in so long, people I knew in high school but never spent any real significant time knowing. And I was a bit trepidatious about reuniting with her around such a group that I didn't know so well but knew me in high school. Or I should say knew the girl I was in high school. But it was a great evening. So unexpected. We each went around the table throughout the dinner and gave the very much abbreviated version of where we've been and what we've been doing for the past 9 years since we all graduated. It was so neat to see these people and hear amazing stories of things that have happened in their worlds. High school was a lifetime ago and I am constantly amazed at the journeys people have taken. It was an unexpected for me. I enjoyed myself so much and I didn't feel uncomfortable in any way. It is as if we were meeting for the first time but there was an underlying sense of comfort that is there with a friend you have known for a long time. We joked about our 10 year reunion coming next year and I still have mixed feelings about it but after tonight, I just might consider it. It is hard to compose a philosophical thought at this hour but sometimes I get hung up on such petty reasons to not capture an experience. I am awed by the opportunities to grow as a person and how sometimes we pass them by. I hope my eyes and my heart are always open to new experiences and new ways to see things. I am grateful for tonight's opportunity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment