Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Updatings and Randoms

Updatings:

Thanks everyone for their concern for Bindy. Thankfully she is doing well - I will pick her up from the vet tomorrow. She will sadly never be a mama kitty....alas. She is tape worm free and it looks like her cold might be kicked! Yay!! I am a happy mommy and I can't wait to get her back. It is awfully quiet around here....

My schedule is picking up. They are laying on the schoolwork hard and it is intense. I love my clinicals but they are so exhausting. Both physically and emotionally. I have taken care of this one lady for a while now and today I didn't get to. I was bummed. I spoke with her family though and it is looking like she will not pull through. It is so sad. The thing with being in Medical ICU is that there are some that just don't make it. Some we see get better and go on to a regular room and leave the hospital, but there are just those cases that tug at my heart. I am so thankful that I get to be a small part of the people that come through there. Whether they are the patient or the family. It is an honor for me when they embrace me and thank me. I am so glad to feel that I am actually doing something that matters. It is not an easy job by any means but somehow the things I thought I would have problems with (poop and vomit and such) matter so little when we are trying to help the patients. It is hard to explain but it is character building for me and it is nice to finally feel like I matter. And I don't mean that in a selfish way....it's just that I hardly ever felt like I mattered to anyone in the Army because I was always seen for what I wasn't. And the patients don't care that I run slow.

Randoms:

I don't know what's going on in our humble city but I am hearing more and more sirens. I have heard them every night that I am home for a while now. I just don't remember there being so many before.

I saw the most beautiful sunset the other day and I meant to blog about it before but I haven't had time. It was unreal. It was almost like the sky turned into a big rainbow that rooted on the horizon. A rich golden in the center that faded into orange that magically became pink that oh so subtly became a lavender that then faded into a gray-blue that got more blue the farther out. I was driving and didn't have my camera with me and I am lucky I didn't cause a wreck from staring. It was so undescribable. I wish someone else had seen it but it is kind of neat that it will only live on in my memory. A special little gift for me....thanks God!!

Why do some Coca-Cola machines dispense Dr. Pepper but at the movie theaters Coca-Cola has total monopoly? I am so in love with Dr. Pepper...Do you think he's single? I mean he's got the doctor thing going....ah, he's probably taken, just like all the other good ones.

Does anyone ever create little mini-blogs in their head throughout the day and then forget them when you sit down to blog? I have had some good ones - sorry y'all don't get to see how funny I am to myself.

It bothers me when people spell "y'all" ya'll. Please don't do that. Especially on something that will become decoration.

When I am typing I sometimes write a compound sentence and I realize that I forgot to put the comma before the and but I am too lazy to go back and put it and I realize that is not correct but I can't figure out why I won't just stick in but does it really matter and I just don't want people to think that I can't write proper English.

So tired....off to bed. Hugs!!

2 comments:

Elisa said...

I'm glad that you have found a rewarding profession and that you are willing to do the hard work to serve others in such difficult circumstances. That's of course how I'd want my nurses to be when in a life changing situation.

I really miss Texas sunsets. There is nothing like them.

You're funny to myself, too, even if you don't get all of your blogs online. I'm with you on the DP. It' such a letdown when I can't find it.

Glad that Bindy is better. Hope ya'll have a great weekend. (Just kidding y'all, of course. I don't think I had ever thought about that before, but from now on I'll try to pay attention to that pesky apostrophe.)

Elisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.