Thursday, June 15, 2006

Pontification of the Purse



So, I am standing in Double Dave's waiting for my pizza to be done and a man walks by and he is wearing a fanny-pack. (he wasn't wearing it on his fanny, but that is neither here nor there) I thought, "What could he possibly have to carry around that he feels it necessary to wear the most rediculous fashion accessory, all-be-it very practical one, of our time?" I thought maybe he has some life-saving medication or something that he has to have at all times. But that got me thinking....why do women carry purses and men don't? I mean, seriously. Don't they have stuff they need to have with them on a regular basis? So let's pause for a moment and examine the contents of my purse: wallet, checkbook, keys, cell phone, gum, glasses, lotion, iPod, pens, and chapstick. Now, which of those items would a man not need to have on him? Other than maybe the chapstick I can't honestly say any of them. Oh, well maybe the lotion. I love a cute purse as much as any girl, but is that the point? To carry something cute? I guess it's an accessory like earrings or jewelry. But what do men do with their stuff? I guess they carry a briefcase or backpack for somethings, but for the most part they just don't. Why don't men feel the need to carry stuff? If I am without my purse I feel like I am missing an arm. Do you remember the episode of Friends where Joey carries the "Man-Purse"? I think men should be allowed to carry their stuff and not get mercilessly ridiculed. However, if they choose to do so by means of a fanny-pack, I might have to reevaluate that statement.

No comments: