Monday, February 13, 2006

Blogger's Block / Single Awareness Day

So, one of the reasons that I was hesitant to start a blog was that I didn't have a clue what would be interesting enough about my life to publish on my page. I originally thought I could put pictures up of my travels throughout Europe, you know, let everyone see what I did with my life for 3 years. And as great and wonderful as that sounds, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. So, here I am, "working", wanting to post something--something funny and anecdotal--and I might as well just be sitting here picking my nose (I am not of course). So, the following is just a little of the excitement that I am trying to keep to dull roar in my life......

Tonight I have to study for an Anatomy test--doesn't that sound like a thrill? I am still recovering from the 2 Microbiology tests I had last week. All those who are jealous of my life, say "Aye!" Anyone?? I just keep telling myself it will all be worth it when I am nursing school and really moving forward toward my goal. But Micro is dragging me down. Everyday I learn something about germs/bacteria/microbes that I was really just fine living without the knowledge of. I would rather just not know. So, just to fill you in on some of the little tid-bits that my professor has been oh so willing to share (I can't have the creep-factor all to myself):
1. The life of a pillow is 3 years. After that time it is pretty much just bugs that are feeding off of your dead skin cells.
2. A mattress does the same thing at 25 years. At that point the weight is only bugs.
3. The shelf-life of lunch meat in your fridge is 3 days. 3 days people!!! The slimy-substance that accumulates on the top is bacteria.
4. If Seattle were to get hit with the bird-flu, 9,000 people a day would die.
5. America is no more equipped to handle a flu-epidemic than we were in 1912. Now, I am not on the up-and-up of the history of that epidemic, but apparently it was a biggie.

I mean, is this guy trying to cause 180 people to have a panic attack? I am a worrier by nature, and this class is not helping me "let go" of things, if you know what I mean. Everytime I touch something I just imagine what kind of things are growing there. And I will save you all the adventures with bacteria I get to have in the lab. And you can be glad I did, too.

So, tomorrow has got to be my least favorite day of the year. Why can't there be a "We're Happy We're Single Day" or a "Let's Celebrate the Single People in the World Day"? Wasn't there a saint out there that appreciated single people? It's not even because I am not in a relationship--I am just so sick of the hearts and candy and junk. Does a piece of chocolate really signify love? Nobody gives me presents for being single. I love that Sex and the City episode where Carrie registers to marry herself. Seriously, we singletons do a lot for our friends that get married, have kids, etc. And we are happy to do it, but does anyone give us presents for being single? Uh, no. I am happy for all the people that are dear to me that are in love--don't get me wrong, I want them to be happy. But Valentine's Day is just one more event that we endure along the way where everyone gets a present but us. I know to some of you I sound jaded, cynical, pathetic. And I probably am, but "it's my [blog] and I'll cry if I want to."

No comments: