Thursday, November 08, 2007

Going Green

So, I don't know if anyone has picked up on all the going green buzz around media, tv, etc. but I just caught a bit of an interview that kind of gave me a jolt. It was on MSNBC and it was a couple (American girl, Australian guy) that started a environment-friendly while still trying to hang on the the convenience of disposable diaper company. It is called GDiapers and they have a cotton outside with a flushable liner. Anyhoo - this is what shocked me. Disposable diapers take 500 years to decompose. Whoa. As someone who "changes diapers for a living" I don't know how I will be able to go to work tomorrow. I mean, obviously I will, but I will feel guilty every time I throw one away. And that is not to say I don't already feel guilty as it is - I made a post forever ago citing my pangs of guilt post-Europe about how little we recycle here in the states. And I must say the hospital I work at has got to be setting some kind of record for how much we can pollute the world. Every time I go into the OR my heart sinks a little watching everything get thrown away in the sake of sterility. I really do wonder how much of the earth will be left for our kids and grandkids. I hate feeling like there is nothing I can do to make a difference. People for the most part just aren't interested b/c it takes so much extra effort. And I can't say that I didn't have that thought as I was unloading my car a few weeks ago as a result of our small effort to recycle. Because it kinda was a big pain. But I am a lover of ziploc baggies. I have no problem putting my fruit in those little bags on a roll. I cannot imagine my life without plastic. I remember when I was in elementary school what a big deal recycling was and it seemed like there was this big push to be earth-friendly. I think they started Earth Day back then. What happened to all of our enthusiasm? I guess it is coming around again, like vests and leg warmers. At least going green is an idea to get behind.

No comments: